Written by Zlata Brouwer
Published: January 2, 2014 at 5:58 PM [UTC]
Ok, let's get those pinkies into my Pinky Training Program!
In this video I share exercises to train the strength and flexibility of your pinkies:
1) Play piano in the table (until you can crush a sugar cube)
2) Always use your right pinky actively in bowing: your bowing will be more smooth and controlled
3) Don't avoid the 4th finger (this pinky will not get trained and it will be even more scary in the future)
4) Place your fingers confident, attack the strings
5) Practice bowing movements with a pencil
Is this video useful to you? Please let me know in the comments!
PS: Do you have questions for me on violin or viola playing? Post a comment below or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Any tips on how to work on this? It seems so much more difficult with the pinky because theres not much finger to use to begin with.
This entry has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.
Violinist.com is made possible by...
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Violinist.com Summer Music Programs Directory
Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins
Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine