LA Phil Returns to Hollywood Bowl for Mostly Vaccinated Audience this Summer

May 11, 2021, 2:41 PM · Following 18 months of canceled concerts due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Los Angeles Philharmonic once again will perform for a live audience this summer at the Hollywood Bowl. The Hollywood Bowl season, announced today, will feature more than 50 performances, including top classical artists such as violinists Ray Chen, Randall Goosby, Anne Akiko Meyers and Martin Chalifour; cellists Yo-Yo Ma, Sheku Kanneh-Mason and Sterling Elliott; violist Teng Li; and pianists Jean-Yves Thibaudet and Hélène Grimaud, among others.

Gustavo Dudamel
LA Phil Music Direstor Gustavo Dudamel.

But COVID-19 will still exert some control over the logistics of the concerts. In order to attend, audience members will need either to be fully vaccinated or to present a negative COVID-19 test. The Hollywood Bowl will reserve 85 percent of seats for fully vaccinated patrons, requiring proof of vaccination and photo ID upon entry. The remaining 15 percent will be reserved for those showing proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of a given performance. The two seating sections for not-fully-vaccinated patrons will be socially distanced and separated from vaccination-required sections. Masks will be required for all patrons. Audience capacity will start at 67 percent, following California state guidelines - which may allow for higher capacity as the summer progresses. Here is the full COVID safety protocol information.

That said, if you are vaccinated, you can have a fairly "normal" concert experience, as fully-vaccinated seating sections will not be socially distanced, and patrons will be allowed to bring picnic baskets and wine, with restaurants and markets open with modifications.

The season will begin on May 15 with a free concert for frontline and essential workers given by the LA Phil with Dudamel, featuring Jessie Montgomery's "Starburst"; the Barber "Adagio for Strings" and Beethoven's Symphony No. 3, "Eroica."

Other highlights include:

Click here for information about the full season.

Click here for ticket information.

You might also like:

Replies

May 13, 2021 at 04:21 PM · Exciting, and a great season!

This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Colburn School: Chamber Music Intensive
Colburn School: Chamber Music Intensive

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe