The Week in Reviews, Op. 368: Lisa Batiashvili; Gil Shaham; Daniel Lozakovich
In an effort to promote the coverage of live violin performance, Violinist.com each week presents links to reviews of notable concerts and recitals around the world.
Violinist Lisa Batiashvili. Photo by Chris Singer.
Lisa Batiashvili performed Szymanowski’s Violin Concerto No 1 with the Philadelphia Orchestra at the Edinburgh international festival.
- The Scotsman: "Batiashvili effortlessly veered between whispered melodies and strident double stopping in this magnificent close reading with an outstanding on-form orchestra who were with her every step of the way."
- The Guardian: "...there was much to admire in the sumptuous colour and soaring ethereal lines of Batiashvili’s solo violin...(though) the overall programming felt somewhat questionable."
Gil Shaham performed Dvorák’s Violin Concerto with the Boston Symphony Orchestra and conductor Anna Rakitina at Tanglewood.
- The Boston Musical Intelligencer: "Gil Shaham joined Anna Rakitina in a superb rendering of the Dvorák Violin Concerto in A Minor. The two worked closely together to bring about a new and insightful reading, which transpired from the soloist’s first entrance."
Daniel Lozakovich performed Brahms’s Violin Concerto with BBC Symphony Orchestra at BBC Prom 51.
- The Guardian: His tone is sweet, warm and extraordinarily beautiful, wonderfully suited to Brahms’s long-breathed melodies and there was some ravishing high pianissimo, though elsewhere those jagged moments of assertion in the first movement could perhaps have been a bit more weighty and incisive"
Pekka Kuusisto performed Vaughan Williams' "The Lark Ascending" with the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra at BBC Prom 52.
- The Guardian: "His rather withdrawn, intimate approach, almost an improvisation spun on the slenderest thread of sound, made it seem less rural idyll than elegy, an exercise in nostalgia written at a time when the way of life and the world it hymned was about to disappear in the maelstrom of world war."
Baiba Skride performed Korngold’s Violin Concerto with the West Australian Symphony Orchestra.
- The West Australian: "Violinist Baiba Skride honoured the motif in a splash of technicolor with a crimson gown and richly romantic phrasing to channel the Golden Age — and just a hint of The Simpsons in the jarring “devil’s interval” of the beloved show tune."
Aubree Oliverson performed Barber's Violin Concerto with the Redlands Symphony.
- Redlands Community News: "Aubree Oliverson... mastered the complex violin concerto by Samuel Barber, at once a furious, difficult and brilliant piece. The crowd rewarded her phenomenal performance with the first standing ovation of the evening."
Please support music in your community by attending a concert or recital whenever you can!
You might also like:
* * *
Enjoying Violinist.com? Click here to sign up for our free, bi-weekly email newsletter. And if you've already signed up, please invite your friends! Thank you.
This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.