Find a Summer Music Program 2023
March 5, 2023, 2:49 PM ·
Are you looking for a program this summer that will inspire and boost your playing, or that of your students? Violinist.com seeks to connect you to high-quality summer camps and programs that are offering their programs in-person or virtually this summer. Our "Find a Summer Music Program" listings include programs for many different ages and styles for violinists and string players. We invite you to click around and learn more about each of these programs - each is linked to the program's website for more information. This directory will be posted on Violinist.com through March and April, then revised in May for later summer programs. You will be able to return to this page by clicking the "Find a Summer Music Program" graphic that is listed with our sponsors on the right of the page (on desktop) or bottom of the page (on mobile). Wishing you a productive summer full of musical connection and exploration!
- Join Elizabeth and friends for a week in NYC filled with technique class, ensemble class, performance class, and all kinds of fun. This is for rising 1-8 grade, any level may audition. Faculty to student ratio is 1:4 so everyone will receive the most attention!
- An online workshop during the pandemic, Violin2Viola is now announcing three spring and summer 2023 *in-person* residencies at the Baltimore Symphony Academy, Boston University Tanglewood Institute, and Luzerne Music Center. Each workshop has different dates from spring to summer 2023 for participants of differing ages to learn all things viola.
Creative Strings WorkshopIn-Person and Online
- Unlock your musical creativity, ability, and understanding! Learn improvisation skills in eclectic styles for violin, viola, and cello. In-Person in Asheville, N.C. and Online with Christian Howes and friends.
Mike Block String CampIn-Person
- Mike Block String Camp is an annual summer workshop for string players of all ages and backgrounds, focusing on non-Classical traditions and contemporary musical styles, with emphasis on learning by ear, creativity, collaboration, and performance.
Indiana University Summer String AcademyIn-Person
- We're back! The Summer String Academy offers serious young string players ages of 12-18 an intensive and varied program, with outstanding faculty at one of the world’s most renowned schools of music. Includes private lessons, chamber music, master classes, performance opportunities, practice time, and the 2023 Indiana University Summer Music Festival. Enrollment is limited to 60 students.
Los Angeles Suzuki InstituteIn-person
- Los Angeles Suzuki Institute registration is open until April 15th! We have student programs for ages 5-18, Suzuki Book 1 through Advanced levels, June 19th-23rd, 2023 at Pitzer College in Claremont, Calif. Teacher programs include Every Child Can! (Online) June 10-11, 2023, and in-person training from June 17-24th, 2023. Check our website for more details. Teacher Training: June 17-24, 2023.
Colburn Summer Chamber Music IntensiveIn-Person
- July 2–15, ages 13–18. The Colburn Summer Chamber Music Intensive provides focused ensemble playing for the serious chamber music student. Along with rehearsals and coaching, students will participate in stage presence activities, team building, master classes, and other group-building activities. Located at the Colburn School in Downtown LA.
Aria International Summer AcademyIn-Person
- Intensive program for violinists and cellists ages 16-28. Two 14-day sessions: June 21-July 6, and July 8-23, 2023. Eight private lessons per session and daily master classes. For intermediate, advanced, and pre-professional students.
The Music Mastery ExperienceOnline
- Grow your artistry, achieve consistent peak performance, and change your life! Inside this LIFE-CHANGING program, you’ll discover effective practice techniques, receive ongoing support, and create INCREDIBLE RESULTS for yourself. You’ll walk away feeling CONFIDENT in every area of your music-career and your life. For musicians and teachers (18+) of all levels.
Music at Port MilfordIn-Person.
- Joyful, focused immersion in the study of chamber music in beautiful Prince Edward County, Ontario. Celebrating 37 seasons of music and community. July 9-August 6, 2023. Strings & Piano. Ages 12-19.
Colburn Summer Music Theory IntensiveIn-Person
- June 12–July 17, Age 10+. The Colburn Summer Music Theory Intensive is an intensive music theory program which allows students to advance more quickly through Colburn’s Music Theory curriculum, covering a year’s curriculum in four weeks. The classes meet on the Colburn School campus in Downtown LA.
Fulton Summer Music AcademyIn-Person
- The Fulton Summer Music Academy (July 9 - August 4 in Chicago, IL) is an intensive training program for serious classical violin, viola, cello, and piano players taught by world-class faculty. Students range from pre-college to pre-professional and are looking for a focused experience regardless of career plans.
Borromeo Music FestivalIn-Person
- July 17-31, 2023. Spend an unforgettable summer in the breathtaking Swiss Alps! Perform and study solo and chamber music with an internationally acclaimed artist faculty. Advanced string players and pianists from pre-college through graduate school.
Sounding Point AcademyIn-Person
- June 4 – 18, 2023, at the Colburn School. Robert Lipsett and Fabiola Kim, co-founders and faculty. Sounding Point Academy nurtures the next generation of soloists, chamber musicians, orchestral musicians, and pedagogues. During this two-week program, students will delve into a curriculum that explores the most critical of violinistic elements.
String Crossings CampIn-Person
- June 18-23 in Nashville, TN. String Crossings is Belmont University’s annual week-long summer camp where current high school string students learn and perform music from a diverse set of genres including classical, jazz, rock, celtic, swing, and bluegrass. Study with Belmont's world-renowned faculty and immerse yourself in an exciting week of making music with new friends!
- NYU SummerStrings is a wonderful experience for promising young musicians, offering the highest level of training through private lessons, masterclasses and creative performance classes in Greenwich Village, New York City. Our SummerStrings 2022 workshops are both in-person and online, welcoming serious violinists, violists, cellists, and bassists ages 12+.
Colorado Chamber Music InstituteIn-Person
- Colorado Chamber Music Institute is designed for advanced teenage violin, viola, cello, flute and guitar students who are interest in expanding their chamber music training. From June 16-24, 2023, students will have the opportunity to work with members of the Lux Quartet in the picturesque setting of Beaver Creek, Colorado!
Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin StudiesIn-Person
- May 23-27, at The Juilliard School in New York City. Learn from a distinguished roster of Guest Artist and Faculty (including Itzhak Perlman, Catherine Cho, Brian Lewis, Danielle Belen, Randall Goosby, and more) at this biennial series of master classes, recitals, and workshops celebrating violin studies and the legacy of the late renowned teacher Dorothy DeLay.
Chamber Music Institute/So CalIn-Person
- Join us for string quartets by women and men composers! July 7-23, 2023, each group (ages 8-88) will learn a movement by a woman composer, as well as one of the standard gems in the quartet literature. Our great coaches encourage trying new ideas, new works, and improvising.
Elizabeth Faidley at Victoria Summer FestivalIn-Person
- Violin pedagogue Elizabeth Faidley and Pianist/Conductor Michael Wittenburg present an immersive experience for a very special week in Barcelona, August 12-18, 2023. The course includes 3 private lessons, two coachings, a daily technique class and daily Violin Choir. Perform with the choir at the end of camp in beautiful Spain!
Cellist Melissa Kraut at Victoria Summer FestivalIn-Person
- August 12-18, 2023. Cellist Melissa Kraut, from the Cleveland Institute of Music will present an immersive experience for a very special week in Barcelona. The complete course includes up to four private lessons and classes with Prof. Kraut and a final concert at Victoria Music Center.
Greater Washington Suzuki InstituteIn-Person and Online
- June 26-30, 2023 - Student Institute at Northern Virginia Community College in Alexandria, Virginia, for Suzuki-trained musicians at all levels; GWSI also offers teacher training courses for Suzuki and non-Suzuki trained teachers with the prerequisite course Every Child Can! for non-Suzuki trained teachers.
Walnut Hill String Quartet IntensiveIn-Person
- The Walnut Hill String Quartet Intensive provides advanced young string players (ages 12–18) an exceptional week of coachings, masterclasses and a private lesson with inspiring faculty. Located just outside of Boston on the beautiful campus of Walnut Hill School for the Arts. Boarding and Day options.
Benefic Chamber Music CampIn-Person
- July 22-30, 2023, at Ball State University School of Music, Muncie, Indiana. The camp designed to enhance chamber music and collaborative skills for serious String, Wind, and Piano students ages 13 to 22. Students gain confidence in ensemble collaboration, chamber orchestra, solo and chamber performances, and daily educational presentations. Private lessons are available with our outstanding faculty.
Our "Find a Summer Music Program" directory will be promoted through April and then revised in May. If you would like to purchase a sponsored listing to promote your summer music program, please click here. Thank you for supporting Violinist.com!
This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.